shrinkingviol3t

leave me alone, I'm reading

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun - Gretchen Rubin I think I expected more from this book. But then again, my expectations were probably too high to be fair.

I expected concrete answers on how I can make my life fulfilling and satisfying, but like the culture that I live in that expects a pill for every hurt, I was probably expecting too much.

This book is one person's experimentation on how to maximize one's happiness within one's natural happiness spectrum. Fair enough, makes sense. Some of the truths the author discovered is that getting enough sleep makes you happier. That makes sense too.

And herein lies the problem I have with this book. While I am fine with reading about results that I already know would be true (like getting enough sleep makes you happier), I would at least have expected a deeper delving into the experience itself (though, to be fair, how deep can you really get about the difference enough sleep has on your general well-being?) However, the deepness level in this book are safe enough for the author's mother to read without raising any eyebrows.

For example, when she describes her fights with her husband, they are of the pick-up-your-socks variety. And to have less fights with her husband, she decides to not nag him. None of this is very deep or very interesting.

Now, if the author had described some drag-down, kicking screaming match between her and her husband, and if she then discovered that getting her full 8 hours of sleep brought the arguments down an octave, that would have been more interesting. And probably would still have been true. Seriously, who doesn't have all-out fights with their spouse? I refuse to believe that there is any couple that have never ever ever gone beyond the you-never-take-out-the-garbage tersed statement.

Having said all that, the book was ok. It is full of the things we always need reminding of: be nice, get more sleep, do the things you're passionate about. These are all good pieces of advice, and the more reminders we have, the better off we'd all probably be.